Public Affairs Achievement Award
Award Cat: Officer - Wing
Winner: yes- to MAJCOM
Key Points to Writing
- WRITE!!! The more you do it, the better you get.
- Ask for HELP, the only person looking out
for #1 is you.
- The only person looking out for your Airman is YOU!
- Use a spell checker. F7 works well in MS Word.
- Use various writing resources like Merriam-Webster Online.
The following example has been taken out of a IMT so the formatting
might be off. I did not changed mission information,
only names to protect myself and the
people I have received the information from.
I will attempt to give a
little insight to the entire process if I know it.
If you have anything you would like to submit, please do so. Also, if
you have found this information useful, please let me know. Everyone of these
items has taken considerable amount of time to put together. Please use
the ads on this site to help support the site. All money gathered pays for
hosting fees and domain fees. (HONESTLY, when I see money come in it also
prompts me to work harder on the site.)
OVERALL EFFECTIVENESS AND JOB ACCOMPLISHMENT:
- Dizzying multi-tasker! Base PA lead for countless Wright-Patt and area Centennial of Flight events
-- national activities site--Dayton Air Show, base open house/air show, 17-day inventing flight celebration, many
- Air Power 2003 deputy coordinator; first base open house on this scale in more than 30 years. Simultaneously
orchestrated comrel, media, and internal public affairs activities while leading many strategic aspects of event
-- Despite horrible weather, the event received 15,000 visitors, $34,000+ of television coverage
with a three-city news audience of more than half a million people, $20,000 in free programs, many public
service announcements, two+ hours of talk-radio coverage including 10,000+ audience hour-long drive-time show,
50 web site placements, six front-page stories with photos in the Dayton Daily News--circulation 400,000
-- Designed posters, web site, official AirPower logo and coin; design still used on AAFES merchandise
- Hawk sharp lead for ASC/CC's semi-annual Town Hall meeting; crafted plan, agenda, speaker list, topics
--Scored home runs with CC/community leaders--CC lauded "best ever" forum for base and community talks
LEADERSHIP/ORGANIZATIONAL & PLANNING SKILLS:
- Frontline player on 2003 planning team for base and community celebrations of 100 years of powered flight
- Planned and executed internal, media and community relations aspects of two-day open house while also taking
planning lead on ASC/CC forum with more than 150 area decision makers--events within 10 days of each other
- Coordinated and scheduled all base public affairs support to Dayton's four-day Air Show, one of the largest this
year, drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors and all three North American jet demonstration teams!
- Ensured base presence and briefing coverage for 17-day centennial of flight pavilion attended by Sen John Glenn,
members of Tuskegee Airmen and several flag officers; priceless interaction with young and old alike
- Worked with Vandalia-Butler chamber to secure installation commander as grand marshal for annual air show parade,
scheduled band and honor guard at high vis community event--commander was given a key to the city
- Lauded by 3-star and organization's area director for Adventures for Wish Kids base visit--"expert planning,
coordination, sound advice and caring attitude"--arranged access, facilities, F-15 demo pilot wowed them!
JUDGMENT AND DECISIONS:
- Forward thinker--saw potential for negative press in the event of traffic jams and/or anti-war demonstrations
associated with base air show; interwove pre-event publicity, security/parking measures to minimize impact
- Fact-based decision maker who weeded through dozens of centennial events to ensure base support for those with
the most impact; resulted in overwhelmingly positive media coverage in local area and all the way to UK!
- Carries influence and leadership reliance well beyond her rank; quickly analyzes situation and seamlessly morphs
from spokeswoman to organizer to advisor to crisis manager; primary PA rep to disaster control group
- Secured Air Force-sponsored NASCAR, and Cross into the Blue for base open house to reach young people
- Recognized need to target multiple audiences with 2003 message--up-to-date information 24/7 on web, media kits,
information packets, pamphlets and CDs aggressively marketed to public, local, and national media
- Quick, calm thinking facilitated evacuation of 1000s of people from the flightline in near tornadic conditions
- Base face and voice for centennial of flight--on target and on message in numerous television, print and radio
interviews highlighting tie between Air Force heritage and Wright Brothers, encouraged regional and AF pride
- Star briefer at AF Centennial of Flight office multi-command display at 17-day inventing flight celebration
- Published 13 articles on Air Power alone, others on centennial events and ASC programs such as the C-5 kept the
base in lights throughout the entire year; forged new bonds with and renewed interest among area leaders
- Guest speaker and judge at local and district level Fraternity of Eagles "God, Flag and Country" speech contest
- Main base PA liaison for White House press corps during 4 July POTUS visit--letter of thanks from POTUS
- Voice for the base annual Easter egg hunt; base warm fuzzy reaches more than 1,000 children and their families
- "Your words are my words. Nobody says it better. Great Job!!" said Dayton Air Show military director
Interesting package. The only thing I didn't like was the triple line
sub-bullet. Besides that, read good.