Public Affairs Achievement Award
Award Cat: Senior Grade Civilian
Winner: yes - MAJCOM
Key Points to Writing
- WRITE!!! The more you do it, the better you get.
- Ask for HELP, the only person looking out
for #1 is you.
- The only person looking out for your Airman is YOU!
- Use a spell checker. F7 works well in MS Word.
- Use Merriam-Webster Online
to improve your vocabulary.
The following example has been taken out of Adobe Acrobat so the formatting
might be off. I did not changed mission information,
only names to protect myself and the
people I have received the information from.
I will attempt to give a
little insight to the entire process if I know it.
If you have anything you would like to submit, please do so. Also, if
you have found this information useful, please let me know. Everyone of these
items has taken considerable amount of time to put together. Please use
the ads on this site to help support the site. All money gathered pays for
hosting fees and domain fees. (HONESTLY, when I see money come in it also
prompts me to work harder on the site.)
Overall Effectiveness & Job Accomplishment
- Led PA rollout for AF depot strategy, agile acquisition, air logistics
center transformation, AFMC
manpower cuts, scientist and engineer recruiting--most complex and
diverse PA challenges!
- Trusted to work most sensitive, high-visibility and critical command media
projects and issues
-- Many of his efforts never become public spotlight cases, thanks to
-- Brought investigators and PAs together--ensured AF readiness to
address interest in multi-subject
criminal investigation and
fraternization/adultery court martial--messages/spokespeople at the ready
- Dependable, committed to excellenc!
Quietly brings experts together behind scenes to best tell story
-- Led joint DoD, DLA, AFMC response to trade media interest in defense
heat treating of aircraft parts--educated
reporters, assured accuracy--resolved explosive issue!
-- Assisted PA office at Brooks in planning, garnering media interest in
1st DoD city-base standup
- Provided all prep and on-site interview support to AFMC/CC during AFA
Symposium in Orlando
-- Resulted in outstanding coverage of AFMC warfighter support in four
national trade publications
Leadership/Organizational & Planning Skills
- Rock solid leader and go-to PA! Junior officers to seasoned civilians
seek his PA advice and counsel
- Takes care of people--knowledgeable, adept, dedicated, professional--balances
and sets right priorities
-- Devoted and respected mentor--provided training on media engagement
for two PA office interns
- If there's a dramatic change affecting our mission, people, organization, Dave
has had his hand in it!
-- Focal point/key planner for command workforce reductions--defused
volatile & emotional issue
-- PA lead for headquarters strategy sessions on hot issues--anticipated
risks, Congressional interest
-- His plan and execution adopted as model for AF and other MAJCOMs--100%
- Reacted swiftly to AF's announcing depot strategy without PA coordination at
--capitalized on what would have been a missed opportunity--positive
results in trade, regional media
- Huge impact developing PA strategies and detailed communications plans of AFMC/AF
Judgment and Decisions
- Quickly assesses complex situations and provides expert counsel to
both leadership and field PAs!
-- Guided AF response to fatal F-15 crash at Eglin, OEF Global Hawk
crash, B-1 consolidation
- The role model for how a headquarters PAO should support both field and MAJCOM
-- Always available--provides great advice, then gets out of way,
enabling people to do their jobs
-- Directly supported 50th Anniversary of B-5 and Kirtland IG
inspection--great media coverage
-- Brainstormed opportunities to cover Raptor in Climatic
Hangar--garnered Weather Channel special
- Successfully tackled union concerns on announcement of new command-wide master
- Arranged and facilitated mission interviews for AFMC/CV/CD/IT on drive-time
talk radio program
-- Followed up with sound research--identified higher-payoff venues for
best use of senior leader time
- Contributes a calm and reasoned voice of PA experience during crises
and frenzied media interest
- Premier writer in the headquarters! Uncanny ability to clearly translate
complex issues into concepts
and digestible bites understood by media and public--led rollout of most
significant MAJCOM events
-- Helped acquisition and logistics communities gain credibility
throughout DoD and U.S. publics
- Ghostwriter for AFMC/CC on vital agile acquisition and workforce cuts
-- Commended by Director, AF Communications for "thoughtful,
well-written" article explaning
rationale for manpower cuts in midst of war on
terror--focus on workforce impacts key to success
- Unparalleled photographer and digital photo expert--pitched in with support
for several special events
- Expert on AFMC media training team--ensured new wing/CC, airborne laser and
AQ Center of Excellence director and others were armed with tactics for
- Major contributor--years of experience and excellent contacts, coupled with
in-depth understanding of
AF logistics, make him the Air Force's leading PA expert on logistics and
sustainment issues. A gem!
Good package, couple too many spelling errors for a MAJCOM winner..